So your gaming moused up but you’ve got a hole to burn in your pocket. There is so much “gaming” branded stuff out there you can spend days searching for cool gear. Heck they’ve even got things like mouse bungees and gaming headset stands. I mean really, a gaming headset stand?! It’s just a headset stand! Anyway, some of the stuff is getting a little crazy and may be purely a marketing ploy to charge a premium for an otherwise standard item.
Frankly if you’ve got a good gaming mouse you’re getting the most bang for your buck. No other single peripheral will enhance your gaming as much as a nice gaming mouse. Of course gaming rigs and laptops will help you run games at maximum settings with ultra responsiveness but as long as that’s up to par the mouse is next in line. But again if you’re looking for something else to upgrade your gaming experience we are going to take a look at some of the other things that are worth your while. Here we have crafted a comprehensive resource so you can plan where to put your next hard earned dollars.
- CPU. The main workhorse of the system, the processor processes all the tasks you send its way.
- Motherboard. The brain of the system, it makes sure all the parts speak together in a language they can understand.
- Graphics Card. The secondary main workhorse of the system, it keeps things looking pretty by taking on the brunt of the visual processes. A must have for new graphic intensive games.
- Case. This holds everything together and protects it from the outside world. Also a way to showcase your glorious components.
- Cooling System. Works together with the case to make sure all those work horses stay cool and in the game.
- Power Supply. All those processes being crunched calls for power, and this is the unit that provides it. Bigger CPU and GPU = bigger power supply required,
- RAM. Essentially the memory of the system more memory means it can handle running more processes simultaneously without bogging down.
- Hard Drive. Where things are stored on your system, this is like the data bank where other components can access all your files.
PC Gaming Peripherals
- Mouse. Our specialty of course. We’ve got a guide on what to look for in gaming mice here. And we have the top 5 best gaming mice of this year here.
- Keyboard. Some gamers swear by mechanical keyboards and that they allow them to more precisely actuate keys. While they may not up your gaming performance that much, pressing those tactile clicky keys can be a lot of fun. Read more here.
- Monitor. Yes the thing your sister and mom call the computer, this is where all the action takes place. High resolution monitors = more pixels = prettier graphics. Read more here.
- Headset/Headphones. Crisp audio can give you an edge in some games, for audiophiles high quality headphones are a must have. It will give you a more immersive experience especially games where developers took keen attention to sound effects. Read more here.
- Controllers. Console gamer converts may feel the need to pick one of these up. Also, some platformers and types of games on Steam are better experienced with a controller.
- Mouse Pad. Last but not least is the mouse pad. We think this is extremely good idea to have matched up with a gaming mouse to get the most of it. We will be coming out with a mouse pad guide soon so keep your eyes peeled for that.
Other PC Gaming Essentials
- Chair. Time to let go of the kitchen chair or little spin stool and get something beefy like a DX Racer chair. Ergonomic chairs are becoming more commonplace for gamers because we spend so much time sitting. So, don’t let your back down and get a decent chair. Read more here.
- Desk. While not essential, a bigger desk or L shape desk can be a nice thing to have as a pc gamer. Where else are you going to put all this stuff we’ve been talking about? Plus, you might have accumulated a ton of stuff and this is the piece that showcases it all. Read more here.