In this article, we will be discussing the latest and best gaming mouse options for PC gamers. Does a gaming mouse make that much of a difference? The short answer is yes. If you’re using a pack-in mouse from Dell or a 10 year old Logitech mouse, you will be astounded by the upgrade in accuracy and speed that a gaming mouse will deliver.
It used to be that Razer was like the only “gaming” manufacturer in the gaming mouse arena. But there’s a lot of new players who have come to the game. It’s a good idea to go with a trusted brand rather than a cheap branding claiming they deliver the world and in reality you’d be better off with a ball mouse. Even if you do go with a trusted brand, each one of them has a few duds or flukes that you want to stay away from. Maybe the company was testing something new or maybe they took a risk that didn’t pay off, the bottom line is you want to stay away from those models too. You don’t need to worry about sorting through and spending countless hours searching for the best mouse possible. We’ve done most the hard work in finding the best brands and the best gaming mice here.
The Best Gaming Mice Brands
That’s it right there. Even with the last one we are a little wary to recommend because they are so new to the game. But Redragon has really cool designs, and on top of that there is some social proof from all the reviews out there saying they are the real deal. If you are ultra risk adverse we recommend staying with the top 5 we listed. Those are the big dogs of the gaming mouse world, and it’s hard to go wrong with one of their models. Just don’t go buying an MMO mouse and expect FPS performance, that’s plain silly.
The Parts of a Gaming Mouse
- Sensor. This is the key one because it’s the brain of your mouse. You got to have a high quality sensor. Now there’s a debate about optical vs. laser sensors and which one is better. The fact of the matter is there’s quality mice that feature one or the other. They are on pretty even ground. What you want to keep in mind is that if you do go for a laser, you need to have a hard mousing surface to get the most out of it.
- Click buttons. Another key component of a good gaming mouse is the buttons. So many gamers overlook this aspect. You need to do your research and make sure that the manufacturer is using top tier parts for the buttons. This will make it so the actuation force necessary to apply to the button is as low as possible. That allows the user to spam clicks and react optimally to in game situations. Plus double-clicking is a common mechanic in some games so it will allow you to do that better and faster too.
- Comfort. Contoured mice and grip pads like the Deathadder new version are essential to prevent hand fatigue. If you get sweaty hands, it’s important to find the right sort of material that wraps the mouse. That will prevent your hand from slipping when your executing quick reflex movements with the mouse.
- Extra buttons. We like our mice plain and simple for the chief reason being that we use our keyboards for everything else. But there’s one genre, the MMO, where we must admit that there is some benefit to having extra mouse buttons because there are so many skills and abilities you can program the mouse to use. Also if your into PVP in the MMO macros become a big part of the game and having a few tied into your mouse can give you a slight edge.
- Size. Most people fall into an average range of hand size so typically you don’t really need to worry about this too much. But if you have huge or tiny hands you want to find a mouse that is gear to you or things will get uncomfortable.
- Look. Frankly we aren’t too concerned about this what we care about is utility. But we don’t want the thing to look like a piece of junk. This shouldn’t sway your opinion one direction or the other but if everything is equal between the performance of two gaming mice go for the one you like the look of better.
That concludes the key qualities you should look for in gaming mice. You’re now educated and ready to buy a superior gaming mouse and destroy your opponents. Check out our list and reviews of the best gaming mice of this year right here.